Stormwater for Developers

The Storm Water Program manages the permitting of large municipal storm water dischargers, storm water associated with industrial activity, storm water associated with construction activity, and storm water associated with municipal separate storm sewer systems (MS4s).

Construction/Land Disturbance Storm Water Permitting (327 IAC 15-5, Rule 5): IDEM administers a general permit program that targets construction activities that result in land disturbance of one acre or more. 327 IAC 15-5 is intended to reduce pollutants, principally sediment, that are a result of soil erosion and other activities associated with land-disturbing activities.

Industrial Storm Water Permitting (327 IAC 15-6, Rule 6): IDEM administers a general permit program that targets storm water run-off associated with industrial activities. Requirements of this rule apply to specific categorical industrial facilities, which are exposed to storm water.

Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (327 IAC 15-13, Rule 13): Under Phase I, this general permit rule was not necessary. Phase I applied to areas with a population greater than 100,000. Only the City of Indianapolis met Phase I criteria, and was issued an individual storm water permit. Under Phase II, MS4 entities (cities, towns, universities, colleges, correctional facilities, hospitals, conservancy districts, homeowner’s associations and military bases) located within urbanized areas, as delineated by the U.S. Census Bureau, or, for those MS4 areas outside of urbanized areas, serving a population greater than 7,000 are regulated.

Does Your Construction Site Need a Stormwater Permit?
Use IDEM’s Permit Wizard to help you:

  • Determine licensing, permitting and regulatory requirements;
  • Obtain necessary application forms;
  • Identify who to contact with questions regarding environmental regulatory requirements;
  • Provide Web links to additional guidance, fact sheets, and pages in the IDEM Permit Guide.

Using a series of question-and-answer pages, the Wizard provides customized information to help you obtain the environmental permits necessary to start and operate your Indiana-based business.

Has the Notice of Intent expired on your site?
This is a notice to developers, contractors and land owners.
Due to the slow economy many projects are taking much longer to complete than originally anticipated. This has caused certain land disturbing permits to expire. If a project is still under development, but the Notice of Intent (NOI) has expired, the site could face Notice of Violations and/or fines.
The NOI expires after a period of five years and should be renewed through the Indiana Department of Environmental Management. Go to and choose Rule 5: Notice of Intent (NOI) – 47487 [PDF] [DOC]. Once you have the document, mark the renewal box at the top (The amendment box is marked in the case of a parcel of land already permitted that has changed ownership or responsibility. Please contact our office for more details concerning this type of change). The remaining information should be filled in using the original NOI and its information.

A current NOI must be posted in a readily accessible location on site in order for a site to be compliant with regulations. Should you have any questions please contact our office at 812-256-2330, ext. 3462. 

If you have a question related to a specific MS4’s requirements and regulations, their person of contact is listed below:

Town of ClarksvilleTom Clevidence, Town Engineer
Town Hall, 2000 Broadway,
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-288-7155, ext. 334
City of Jeffersonville1420 Bates-Bowyer Avenue
Hours: 7:30 a.m.-4 p.m., M-F
City of Jeffersonville Stormwater Program
– access to forms, ordinances, and educational materials
Town of SellersburgTown Hall, 316 East Utica Street
Sellersburg, IN 47172
Stormwater Hotline: 812-246-3821, ext. 7
Oak Park Conservancy District4230 Portage Place
Jeffersonville, IN 47130
Clark CountyBrian Dixon
Southern Indiana Stormwater Advisory Committee (SWAC)